Tuesday, April 7, 2009

For my fart joke peeps.

This morning during practice I did my first Urdvha Dhanurasana drop-back without help from Saraswathi. I can't quite come back up on my own yet. When she assists with the stand-ups, Saraswathi doesn't give much warning about exactly when she's going to pull you back up and today I let one rip right as she did. I said something like "Oops" and she made one of her "Aaah" or "Mmmm" sounds of acknowledgment.

After practice I went to a local woman's house to learn to cook some classic south Indian food. She showed us how to turn these spices:

Anu's spices.

plus some vegetables, into this:

Anu's food.

And it was delicious.


And here are some prime examples of what I think I'll call Indlish from now on. This bike was parked near a coconut stand that the shala students use as a meeting place:

The Sticker Bike.
Bike Stickers 4
Bike stickers 3
Bike stickers 2
Bike stickers 1

Indlish is somewhat like Engrish, but Indlish is about bizarre translations on personal "flare"-type items like clothing, stickers, and posters rather than the more official mistranslations of Engrish street signs and product labels. Indlish can also include English phrases or slogans that are assumed fashionable without regard for their meaning. Take for example this shirt I saw on a boy outside of a temple I was photographing:

ski UTAH.

And here are some shots of the temple:

BAM, SUCKA!

Hugging gods.

The winged moustache.

Door.

And more temple kids:

I gots a jug.

1 comment:

  1. ben, looks like you are having an awesome time. I especially love the fart story and the ski UT shirt! have fun....
    p.s. planning on being at quest for june and july

    ReplyDelete